Monday, July 7, 2008

Question 8 - What's your opinion of Korea's present retirement age of 58-62? Do you think it is suitable or too young? Why do you think so?

My eighth question is: what's your opinion of Korea's present retirement age of 58-62? Do you think it is suitable or too young? Why do you think so?
Nowadays Koreans can expect to live up to at least 75 or 80 years of age. So requiring people to retire at the young age of about 60 is "absurd." Besides the fact that people live longer than before, there are other reasons for raising the retirement age. For one thing, with the current labor-shortage, it is helpful for everyone to allow old people to continue their work. Another reason for raising the retirement age is the growing trend for retirees to remain independent. Most of them would feel uncomfortable if they should live under the same roof with their children and they don't expect their children to support them in their old age. So I want the retirement age to be raised.

5 comments:

Carry said...

Hi, Anthony~
Don't forget I'm always watching you behind. Don't study too hard! :)
Anyhow, your question interests me so much. Actually, my father will retire next year. He is too young t retire. He has worked as a civic offical for more than 30 years, I am afraid that he might have a difficult time in searching a new job and adapting it.
These days, due to the development of medical technology, even people over 70 are so healthy. Keeping pace with the reality, I think the age of retirement should be extended.
(Am I clear? ^^)

Anonymous said...

I think the retirement age now is appropriate. If you work until 70, when do you have time to enjoy your leisurely life? In addition, there are thousands of youngsters who can't get a job. Old people are not flexible. Young generation is apt to make some reforms or changes. Personally I want to retire at 60.

James said...

HI, Anthony
Retirement age,well,I think, yeah 60 is reasonsable. Maybe too old. How about giving more chances to the young. When considering, there are many unemployed youg guys, 60 is suitable age. If they want to work more they could work more after retirement. I think there are many chances they can contribute to the society.
Anthony! It has been a great time for me because of you. I don't think this program means the end.
Let's keep in touch after this program.

Thank you for everything.

therese said...

Hi, Anthony - I agree with your opinion somehow because life expetance is getting higher and higher. However, one thing I want to see at school is 'change'. One of my previous boss was very unhappy when he had to retire. He had spent many years in preparing for being a principal, but he was in that position only for a couple of years. Although he was not a bad boss at all, I still wanted a conservative good man to be retired.

rose said...

Anthony!
It's always quite controversial question. I agree with you. As I see my father, he was too young to retire. However I also watched my two brothers' harsh time to be suffered the stress of seeking job for several years. The age of retirement should be extended, but solving of young people unemployment should take precedence over it. I hope our country will be rapidly developed and we can meet several times more through like KNUE program before our retirement.^^